Saturday, August 21, 2010

Cee-Lo Green’s New Single May Just Be A Reason To Uncensor Radio!

Cee-Lo’s new single is literally called “F__k You.” Before you are turned off by the name, you need to know that it’s a chunk of undeniable soul that will probably bring a smile to even the most conservative music fan. It’s a high-quality nugget of funk. It’s the kind of vintage R&B not heard since the peak of Motown and Stax. (If you don’t believe me, look the song up on youtube!) This song obviously won’t get the airplay it deserves due to its title and its repeated lyrics. Censoring it by traditional means could hinder the listening experience, thus I propose a plan. I wish radio stations could play this song uncensored after 11 PM. This is the kind of track radio needs right now. It’s sad that it has an unmentionable chorus and title according to the guidelines set up by the FCC. This is the best song to appear this summer. It’s the kind of song that I would hope would win over people who would otherwise be offended! I remember a few years back when Cee-Lo was hyped because of his Gnarls Barkley song, “Crazy.” This song is ten times more likable than that track. It’s the best song with a foul title since Eels’ masterpiece, “It’s a Motherf__ker” ten years ago.

And yes, I sense the irony that I’ve censored all of the “objectionable” titles. Maybe I’m not quite as daring as I talk myself up to be. Maybe I’m worried about offending people, too. What can you do? I’m a truly complex, paradoxical man!

In any case, you need to check out this song and check your standards at the door. Believe me, this song is worth it!

1 Comments:

At 10:41 PM , Anonymous George Chidi said...

I heard a radio-friendly edit of this song on youtube a day or so ago. Cee-Lo replaced F--K with "forget." It takes a bit of the edge off. I honestly think the shock value of the language helps make this song. Forget You is a bit ... forgettable. On the other hand, the Black Eyed Peas song "Let's Get It Started" was originally "Let's Get Retarded." The radio edit still worked. Maybe I'm wrong about this one.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home